One of my favorite things to do as a nanny is read to the children. The voice of a child’s parent or caregiver in one the the safest sounds to them. A baby is never too young to be read to. It creates wonderful moments before and after nap time, when they want to snuggle in close even during the wiggly stages. Over the years I collected some of their favorite books/authors.
- Cozy Classics –Cozy Classics is the popular board book series presenting well-loved stories through 12 child-friendly words and 12 needle-felted illustrations. I love how this blends a classic book into a child-friendly story. It’s so sweet how even a 1 year old giggles at Pride and Prejudice.
- Eric Carle -I love the illustrations in these books and how they bring colorful play to animals. The Hungry caterpillar is a sure favorite!
- Sandra Boynton -Whether is a hippo or dog, she brings out interactive stories in such a colorful way. What little child doesn’t love a belly button book?
- Good Night Books -The Good Night Books Series of board books has been designed and developed to celebrate special places and themes in a way that young children can easily relate to and enjoy with their families. All the books are written and illustrated with a simplicity that captures the “essence” of each subject and place. Children love to have a book that is specific to them and the places they live.
- Kevin Henkes -I love this author. He brings out lessons with stories and humor in “Owen.” A few favorites of ours is “Kitten’s First Full Moon” and “Waiting.”
I hope you enjoy these wonderful books and even pick a few up for your children at the library. They also make wonderful baby gifts.